Saturday, June 5, 2010

A weekend back home

Boy does it ever feel good to be back at home! We only spent four days in Hamilton so far, but I have a whole new appreciation for our home here. I never thought I would say this, but "I missed Woodstock." And I think the kids are happy to be home too. They have been in great spirits and napping super good!
Mark left Thursday for a fishing trip with my dad, so I had the twins by myself in Hamilton Thursday and Friday. There were moments I didn't think I could handle it, but I did and I feel great that I managed to get both babies fed, bathed, changed, medicated (Xavier of course) and in bed by 7pm. Unfortunately the night didn't go as smoothly. I couldn't sleep and neither could the twins. Mac woke up several times through the night screaming and Xavier woke up around 3 am and didn't go back to sleep for about an hour. I was one tired momma when I got up with Mac at 5:30 am.
Getting the two to the hospital for Xavier's treatment was also a feat. Xavier was in a great mood until I put him in his car seat to go to the hospital. Poor thing; I think he has already figured out where he is going every morning. But despite a few tears (from the two of us) we made it there with five minutes to spare. Oh and I managed to get a free coffee at Tim's.
Luckily there is a team of wonderful nurses and therapists who help with Xavier's therapy -- and also helped babysit Mac when I needed to be with Xavier Friday.
I hugged him close as he buried his head into my chest while being sedated. Again, before I knew it he was out. I turned around to see Mac there waiting for me. I hugged her tight and kissed her head as I walked out of the room.
I was then taken to a room where I could see everything going on in the radiation room on a TV screen. I didn't know whether to look or not. I glanced a few times, but I was not ready to see Xavier wearing the mask and bolted to the table. I did however watch a black and white screen showing the CT image of his head. Within minutes it was all over with. He went into the recovery room where he woke up about 20 minutes later. He was groggier than usual, and very sleepy.
I then loaded the kids up and headed for McMaster Children's Hospital to see our doctor there. The twins had possibly been exposed to chicken pox the week before and they needed to be sure he wasn't sick. We got the ok and headed for home.
I really appreciate the small things in life now -- more and more every day. I wonder now how I could take all this for granted before.
I have one more night at home before heading back to the condo. But I am not going to think about that now -- it will only make me sad. I am going to live in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment